Service Organizations and Corporate Volunteers
Tyler Arboretum welcomes groups of all sizes to actively participate in the care of nature and the enrichment of our visitors. This is open to all young adults (16 to 25) and adults (over 25). We do encourage families to be involved but we do ask that children must be 12 yrs. and older to participate. All youth, ages 12 to 15 must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Currently we cannot accommodate middle school service groups.
We will match tasks with your community mission and this may include invasive plants removals, trail repair, cleaning, processing mailings and special events staffing. Projects and experiences are seasonally-based, and we are more than happy to plan with you. To start, review the opportunities below then download a copy of our Group Form to fill out.
E-mail the completed form to Julia Lo Ehrhardt at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will contact you shortly. REMEMBER to sign-up for our monthly volunteer electronic newsletter to stay current on news and upcoming event sign-ups.
Most group volunteer commitment is 4 hours (3 hours is our minimum) and may run longer if previously planned. Depending on jobs, we start our activities at 8 a.m. Our group activities occur rain or shine. In case of severe weather, we will either re-schedule or cancel.
Although food is not provided, we are more than happy to work with you to arrange for food to be delivered and a dining area arranged if available. We can also accommodate group tours. Food, dining facility rental and group tour will be added cost. Please contact Julia Lo Ehrhardt, email@example.com if you would like to make arrangements.
Our goal at Tyler is to provide a meaningful experience for groups which allows us to fulfill our mission of caring for the natural world. Because we are working in the natural world, we will encounter insects and plants that causes unwanted reactions such as poison ivy rashes, tick and mosquito bites to name a few. We highly recommend that you bring insect repellant and sunscreen as well as wear suitable shoes, hat, gloves and clothing for working in the outdoors. If you have questions, please do not hesitate in contacting Julia Lo Ehrhardt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Group Organizational Hints:
1. If you are new to Tyler Arboretum, fill out the Group Volunteer Form and email it in at least one month ahead of proposed date. If you are returning, fill in the boxes with *.
2. Confirm your group size with Julia no later than 1 week before the planned volunteer day. Make sure to pass on directions to the Horticulture Maintenance Building which Julia will provide.
3. Check weather conditions three to four days ahead and advise your group. Contact Julia if you need to re-schedule or cancel.
4. Remind your group two days prior to the day: dress for the outdoors, bring water, hat, sunscreen, and insect repellant.
5. On the day — check in with Julia and assist your group in signing in.
6. Need to re-schedule or cancel? Call Julia Lo Ehrhardt 610-566-9134, ext. 305 as soon as possible as staff have been scheduled to lead your group.