Visit Tyler from mid-March to mid-April and search for frogs! By mid-March the frogs will be coming out of torpor from the winter-time. You will hear them calling to each other searching for mates. Explore the pond or along the blue trail and you will hear them calling. The pond has green frogs, toads and bullfrogs, and along the blue trail you will hear wood frogs. If you are lucky and come at the right time of day, you will hear spring peepers.
Did you know that frogs are survivors. Two frogs at Tyler are wood frogs and spring peepers and these frogs survive winter in an amazing way. They burrow underground and turn into frozen frogsicles! Sugars in the blood act as antifreeze that protects the organs from damage, while the rest of the body freezes solid.
In mid-April you may find tadpoles or even toad-lets in these areas. Last year our ponds along the scenic loop were full of tadpoles!
For more cool facts go to: http://www.nwf.org/Kids/Ranger-Rick/Animals/Amphibians-and-Reptiles/Frogs.aspx
- Frog Jump: Frogs can jump ten times their length. We lay ten frog cutouts end-to-end to see how far a frog can jump. Then, we compare our jumping distance to the frog’s.
- Play the classic game: LEAP FROG!
- Fishing Fun: Tie 3 feet of string to a wooden spoon. Attach a magnet to the end of the string. Cut and laminate many different colored, and sized frogs from construction paper. Attach a paper clip to each frog. Spread the frog shapes on the floor and let your child try to catch the frogs. Have them try to catch the red frog…or the biggest frog.
- Lily Pad, Frog Match: Cut out lily pad and frog shapes from different colored construction paper. Have the children match the frog to the same color lily pad.
- On your exploration of Tyler, bring your phone and play some frog calls
- Spring peeper – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBsNqF7Hkk or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SM6leUVorY
- Wood frog – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ah_slM_F34
- Green frog – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0uGjsM_gh4
- Bullfrog – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M02_dnl9zCA
- American Toad – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6-8pC8o5fw
- http://www.kidzone.ws/lw/frogs/activities.htm – lesson plans and activities
- http://www.theteachersguide.com/froglessonplans.htm – lesson plans and activities
- http://www.paherps.com/herps/frogs-toads/ – frogs and toads of PA
More information and photos:
Visit us on Pinterest for more great learning opportunities!