MEMBERSHIP/ANNUAL GIVING MANAGER
Reports to: Director of Development
Employment Status: Full-time with Benefits
Tyler Arboretum is a 650 acre public garden located in Media, Pennsylvania, only 40 minutes from Center City Philadelphia. One of the oldest arboreta in the northeastern United States, Tyler Arboretum encompasses 650 acres of renowned plant collections, champion trees, historic buildings, and 17 miles of hiking trails through woodlands, wetlands, and meadows. The Arboretum offers workshops, classes, and tours for adults and children throughout the year.
Tyler Arboretum is seeking a strategic, energetic and proven fundraiser to build engagement for the arboretum through membership, annual giving and sponsorships.
The Annual Giving/Membership Manager is responsible for planning and implementing comprehensive Annual Giving and Membership programs at Tyler Arboretum with a focus on expansion. For both programs, this includes cultivating and acquiring new members and donors while stewarding and retaining current donors with the goal of upgrading them to new levels. The Manager needs strong writing ability for annual giving and membership appeals and promotions. The Manager also works with the Special Events Manager to solicit Corporate sponsors for key fundraising and promotional events.
The Manager works closely with Development department and other Arboretum staff to evaluate and improve membership and annual giving renewal and acquisition programs. The Manager oversees gift and data entry, processing event and membership registrations/renewals, routine reconciliation and analytic reports, and performs general administrative duties. The Manager supervises the Development Coordinator in many of these tasks. The Manager maintains a presence and promotes memberships at Arboretum activities and plans and executes membership events.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum three years’ experience in membership, annual giving fundraising and direct marketing
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to think and work independently and within a staff/volunteer team
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Comfortable working with general public, trustees, members, and donors by phone, email and in person
- Microsoft Office skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Expertise in Raiser’s Edge software (or similar system) required
- Experience creating digital communications
- Ability to work some evening and weekend events
- Tyler Arboretum provides a welcoming team-based work environment
- General office environment with occasional work on the Arboretum’s grounds
- Significant computer and telephone work
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, bending, and climbing stairs with occasional lifting of light loads, up to 25lbs
Please send resume, three writing samples and a program of membership events that you developed to Mary Beth Jackson, Director of Development at email@example.com by September 10, 2015. References may be requested following initial interview.
Responsibilities: Tyler Arboretum is seeking an Educator for scout, birthday, and family public programs on weekends, especially during the Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 seasons.
- Learn our environmental education curriculum and implement the purpose,
goals and objectives of each program.
- Clean areas, tables, sweep floors, and reset educational spaces after groups leave.
- Clean up and put away equipment and supplies used for programs.
Schedule: Position is part-time. Programs are offered year-round and hours vary seasonally. Heaviest concentration in fall and spring; during this period a commitment to teach two weekend days is required. Programs are one to four hours in length, generally in the morning or early afternoon.
- 1-2 years experience in education or life experience related to one or more of the following topics: outdoor activities, environmental studies, biology, education.
- Demonstrated success at teaching outdoor activities, environmental studies, biology, to school-aged children; teaching experience in an outdoor setting is preferred.
- Demonstrated success at working both within a team and independently.
- Demonstrated success at working in an outdoor environment.
- Ability to physically hike 2 or more miles each day.
- Must work well with a variety of people and in a variety of situations
- A strong desire to teach and share knowledge and enthusiasm for the natural world.
- Well-developed communication skills and ability to present information to children in an age appropriate manner.
- A background in education or the natural sciences is desirable.
- Training will be provided.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Application: Send a resume with cover letter and names of 3 references with contact information to:
Martha L. Moore, Tyler Arboretum, 515 Painter Road, Media, PA 19063 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Tyler Arboretum is an Equal Opportunity Employer