Part Time Naturalist/Educator
Responsibilities: Educators are responsible for teaching a variety of environmental education programs; primarily for school field trips (pre-school through grade 6) during the week and scouts and birthdays during the weekends. Additional teaching responsibilities include family and adult public programs and occasional outreach programs for public events. Accepting resumes through August, training begins in September.
- Other duties may include working on research and program development if interested.
- Educators will be responsible to attend training sessions and regular staff meetings.
- Clean areas, tables, sweep floors, and reset educational spaces after groups leave.
- Clean up and put away equipment and supplies used for programs.
Schedule: Position is part-time. Programs are offered year round and hours vary seasonally. Heaviest concentration in fall and spring; during this period a commitment to teach 3-5 classes per week/5-10 hours are required, including two weekend days a month. Programs are one to four hours in length, generally in the morning or early afternoon.
- 1-2 years’ work experience in education or life experience related to one or more of the following topics: outdoor activities, environmental studies, biology, education
- Demonstrated success at teaching outdoor activities, environmental studies, biology, to school-aged children; teaching experience in an outdoor setting is preferred.
- Demonstrated success at working both within a team and independently.
- Demonstrated success at working in an outdoor environment.
- Ability to physically hike 2 or more miles each day.
- Must work well with a variety of people and in a variety of situations
- A strong desire to teach and share knowledge and enthusiasm for the natural world.
- Well-developed communication skills and ability to present information to children in an age appropriate manner.
- Ability to teach family and adult programs
- A background in education or the natural sciences is desirable.
- Training will be provided.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Application: Send a resume with cover letter and names of 3 references with contact information to:
Martha L. Moore
515 Painter Road
Media, PA 19063