Tyler Arboretum is a 650 acre public garden located in Media, Pennsylvania, only 40 minutes from Center City Philadelphia. One of the oldest arboreta in the northeastern United States, Tyler Arboretum encompasses renowned plant collections, champion trees, historic buildings, and 17 miles of hiking trails through woodlands, wetlands, and meadows. The Arboretum offers workshops, classes, and tours for adults and children throughout the year.
SCHOOL & COMMUNITY PROGRAMS COORDINATOR
Reports to the Youth Programs Manager
Full-time position with benefits
Tyler Arboretum is seeking an energetic, organized, and creative individual to coordinate its diverse year-round youth education programs. Programs include school field trips and outreach programs, scout programs, and eco-birthday parties. The School & Community Programs Coordinator will oversee the daily operations of these programs, as well as assist the Youth Programs Manager with summer camp, special events and other youth/family programs. The School & Community Programs Coordinator works with a staff of part-time educators and volunteers to deliver high-quality educational programming.
Oversee nature-based environmental programs that share Tyler’s heritage, collections and landscape to engage youth and inspire them to become stewards of the natural world.
Organize and manage the daily operations of school field trips and outreaches, including scheduling staff and overseeing program materials.
Coordinate the scheduling and implementation of scout programs and eco-birthday parties.
Lead/teach programs as needed.
Support the summer day camp as the Assistant Director.
Assist in the development of education & craft activities for special events.
Participate in professional organizations.
A Bachelor’s degree or higher in natural sciences, environmental education, or equivalent.
Minimum three years of experience teaching, working with children, and program development, particularly in outdoor settings.
Knowledge of experiential and classroom education curriculum.
Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to work independently.
Comfortable working with the general public by phone, email and in person.
Strong spirit of cooperation and teamwork.
Microsoft Office skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint). Experience with database software a plus (i.e. Altru, Raiser’s Edge).
Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
Current Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearances (or ability to obtain them).
Current certification in CPR & First Aid (or willingness to be certified).
Tyler Arboretum provides a welcoming team-based work environment.
General office environment with frequent work on the Arboretum’s grounds.
Some evening and weekend work throughout the year.
Frequent sitting, standing, walking, bending, and climbing stairs with occasional lifting of loads, up to 40 lbs.
Please send a cover letter, résumé and a minimum of three references, to:
Youth Programs Manager
515 Painter Road,
Media, PA 19063
Tyler Arboretum is an Equal Opportunity Employer
POSITION AVAILABLE: ADULT EDUCATION PROGRAMS ASSISTANT
Temporary: January – May (exact dates TBD)
Tyler Arboretum is seeking an energetic, organized individual with great people skills to join our Public Programs team. The Adult Education Programs Assistant will focus on the seasonal adult education public program offerings. This includes classes, workshops and trips in the following categories: gardening and horticulture, botanical arts, health and wellness and nature studies. This position will support seasonal exhibits through creative educational components and will work with other special event initiatives as needed.
- Coordinate the Winter and Spring 2017 adult education public programs. Communicate with and assist instructors, obtain required materials/vehicles, prepare teaching spaces and host programs. Work with Registrar and our Altru database to keep updated on registration and capacity.
- Develop the roster of adult education public programs for Summer and Fall 2017. Schedule classes, workshops and trips and develop text for published program insert of Arboretum newsletter.
- Assist with development of programs and visitor education materials for the Big Bugs exhibit (large-scale insect art) for Summer 2017.
- Special events work as requested (evenings and/or weekends).
- Knowledge of plants, horticulture, and/or environmental science. BS degree desirable.
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to work independently.
- Strong spirit of cooperation and teamwork.
- Comfortable working with the general public, trustees, members and donors by phone, email and in person.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Microsoft Office skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint). Experience with database software a plus (i.e. Altru, Raiser’s Edge).
- Ability to work with AV equipment.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive 15-seat passenger vans.
- 20 hours per week; Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays (schedule/hours may vary based on program calendar)
- February: Special Event on Saturday, February 25
- March, April and May: Tuesdays until 7:30 pm to host yoga series
- Tyler Arboretum provides a welcoming team-based work environment.
- General office environment with frequent work on the Arboretum’s grounds.
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, bending, and climbing stairs with occasional lifting of light loads, up to 25 lbs.
Application: Please send a cover letter, résumé and three references to:
Amy Mawby, Director of Public Programs
Tyler Arboretum, 515 Painter Road, Media, PA 19063