Tyler Arboretum is a 650 acre public garden located in Media, Pennsylvania, only 40 minutes from Center City Philadelphia. One of the oldest arboreta in the northeastern United States, Tyler Arboretum encompasses renowned plant collections, champion trees, historic buildings, and 17 miles of hiking trails through woodlands, wetlands, and meadows. The Arboretum offers workshops, classes, and tours for adults and children throughout the year.
Weekend Youth Educator
Position Summary: The Weekend Youth Educator is responsible for delivering environmentally based programming for children in small group settings. Weekend programming typically includes Scout badge programs, eco-birthday parties, family programs and other youth programming.
- Share Tyler’s rich heritage, collections and landscape to inspire and engage stewards of the natural world
- Lead a variety of environmental based programming for youth of varied ages
- Learn Tyler’s environmental education curriculum and implement the purpose, goals and objectives of each program (training provided)
- Set up and prepare for group arrival and clean up and put away equipment and supplies used for programs
- Know and understand emergency procedures associated with the organization
- Excellent character, integrity and adaptability
- Ability to teach and lead various environmental activities, including hiking, campfires, stream & pond activities (training provided)
- At least 1 year of work/volunteer experience in education/youth development related to one or more of the following topics: outdoor activities, environmental studies, youth development, scouts, or other related topic
- Demonstrated success at teaching outdoor activities to children; teaching experience in an outdoor setting is preferred
- Ability to communicate and work with a variety of age and skill levels
- Enthusiasm for the natural world, sense of humor, patience and self-control
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Once offered a position, you must satisfactorily complete the required background checks
- Training will be provided
Compensation: $11.00 – $13.00/hour, commensurate with experience.
Schedule: Position is part-time, per diem. Programs are offered year-round and hours vary seasonally. Heaviest concentration in fall and spring; during this period a commitment to teach at least 4 weekend days is required. Programs are 1-3 hours in length. Opportunities for additional, week-day hours may also be available.
SPECIAL EVENTS MANAGER
Reports to the Director of Development. Full-time position with benefits.
Tyler Arboretum seeks an energetic, detail oriented, organized and creative individual to oversee its extensive special event program, including updating existing events and creating new events.
The Special Events Manager is responsible for scheduling, planning, budgeting, marketing and implementing four annual fund raising events, four member-only and two donor cultivation events. This position involves extensive coordination with other departments that assist with the development, set-up, marketing and execution of events, including Development, Horticulture, Public Programs and Communications. Responsibilities also include calendar management on Tyler’s organizational calendar, and providing event-related volunteer needs and job descriptions to the Community Outreach Manager and arranging for staff coverage throughout the event calendar.
The Special events manager will market and manage Tyler community rentals, which includes showing the facility, preparing rental contracts, processing rental fees, and arranging for rental event set-up per clients’ requirements. The Special Events Manager will also work with Tyler’s exclusive caterer as Tyler’s point of contact for catering rentals, to process contracts and payments.
Other responsibilities include solicitation of goods and services from the business community to offset event expenses, assisting with development of sponsorship proposals, and preparing detailed financial reports following each event.
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable working with general public, trustees, members, and donors by phone, email and in person
- Ability to think and work independently and within a staff/volunteer team
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Ability to manage staff and interns/volunteers
- Microsoft Office skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of ALTRU database a plus
- Marketing experience a plus
- Experience with auction management software a plus
- Ability to work evening and weekend events throughout the year
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum five years’ experience in event planning and implementation
- Tyler Arboretum provides a welcoming team-based work environment
- General office environment with occasional work on the Arboretum’s grounds
- Significant computer and telephone work
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, bending, and climbing stairs with occasional lifting of light loads, up to 25lbs
Please send resume, three writing samples and a program of membership events that you developed to: Cricket Brien email@example.com
References may be requested following initial interview.
VISITOR CENTER ASSOCIATE
Reports to the Visitor Center Coordinator
Tyler Arboretum is a 650-acre public garden located in Media, Pennsylvania, only 40 minutes from Center City Philadelphia. One of the oldest arboreta in the northeastern United States, Tyler Arboretum encompasses renowned plant collections, champion trees, historic buildings, and 17 miles of hiking trails through woodlands, wetlands, and meadows. The Arboretum offers workshops, classes, and tours for adults and children throughout the year.
Tyler Arboretum is seeking an energetic, organized individual with great customer service skills to join our Visitor Center team. Our Visitor Center Associates project a positive & professional image of Tyler Arboretum to the public, while enhancing visitor experience through a sincere customer-driven approach.
- Greet and assist visitors.
- Process admissions fees, memberships and merchandise sales.
- Maintain merchandise displays and inventory.
- Provide excellent customer service by phone, email and in person.
- Interact daily with the public, including children, volunteers and staff from all levels of the organization.
- Develop a working knowledge of Tyler’s trail system, plant collections and our rich history in order to be the best ambassador to our guests as possible.
- Strong customer service experience.
- Retail and cash handling experience; emphasis on merchandising is a plus.
- Solid computer and database skills (main software: Altru, and Microsoft Office).
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to work independently.
- Passion for the natural world is desirable.
- Strong spirit of cooperation and teamwork.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Hours are part-time and flexible; daily shifts typically run between 5-8 hours.
- Weekend availability is essential; some evening work throughout the year.
- Tyler Arboretum provides a welcoming team-based work environment.
- General office environment; often fast paced during our busy seasons.
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking and bending with occasional lifting of light loads, up to 25 lbs.
Application: Please send a cover letter, with a minimum of three references, and résumé via e-mail to:
Visitor Center Coordinator
515 Painter Road,
Media, PA 19063