YOUTH EDUCATION MANAGER
Reports to the Director of Public Programs
Full-time position with benefits
Tyler Arboretum is a 650-acre public garden located in Media, Pennsylvania, only 40 minutes from Center City Philadelphia. One of the oldest arboreta in the northeastern United States, Tyler Arboretum encompasses renowned plant collections, champion trees, historic buildings, and 17 miles of hiking trails through woodlands, wetlands, and meadows. The Arboretum offers workshops, classes, and tours for adults and children throughout the year.
Tyler Arboretum is seeking an energetic, organized, and creative individual to lead, develop, and expand its diverse year-round youth and family education programs. Programs include school field trips and outreach programs, summer camp, youth and family public programs, seasonal scout programs and eco-birthday parties. The Youth Education Manager will expand on our base of pre-school and elementary school children and families, with new programs for middle school aged children, and should have knowledge of current trends in the education field.
The Youth Education Manager hires, trains and directs a staff of part-time educators, camp counselors, and volunteers. Assistance is given to members-only and special public events with hands-on activities, craft projects and staff support.
- Develop a comprehensive, strategic and innovative environmental and science education program that meets the needs and curriculum requirements of schools and other educational organizations. This work includes scheduling, planning, and implementing programs, and teaching as needed.
- Plan and oversee our successful summer camp program focusing on nature enrichment activities.
- Develop and coordinate quarterly youth and family public program offerings scheduled on weekdays and weekends (for ages 18 months and up).
- Assist in tracking program budgets and evaluating earned income potential.
- Collaborate with school professionals, community organizations, and related institutions to build relationships and potential partnerships.
- Participate in professional organizations.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in natural sciences, environmental education, or equivalent.
- Minimum five years’ experience in teaching, working with children, and program development, particularly in outdoor settings.
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to work independently.
- Comfortable working with the general public, trustees, members, and donors by phone, e-mail and in person.
- Strong spirit of cooperation and teamwork.
- Microsoft Office skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint). Experience with database software a plus (i.e. Altru, Raiser’s Edge).
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Current Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearances.
- Tyler Arboretum provides a welcoming, team-based work environment.
- General office environment with frequent work on the Arboretum’s grounds.
- Some evening and weekend work throughout the year.
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, bending, and climbing stairs, with occasional lifting of light loads, up to 25 lbs.
Application: Please send a cover letter with a minimum of three references, résumé, and a sample of the programs you’ve created to:
Amy Mawby, Director of Public Programs
Tyler Arboretum, 515 Painter Road, Media, PA 19063
Tyler Arboretum is an Equal Opportunity Employer