Summer Camp Counselor
Department: Public Programs – Youth Education
General Summary: Tyler Arboretum seeks energetic individuals to join our team of camp counselors for our full and half-day children’s summer camps. Individuals will supervise camp participants and facilitate hands-on nature activities, games, crafts and discovery hikes. Counselors are required to lead groups of various ages (4-11) during the season. Counselors will also be working with and supervising volunteers throughout the summer.
Qualifications: Applicants must enjoy teaching children in an outdoor setting, have knowledge of the natural environment and skills in teaching and motivating students. Educators should be enthusiastic, responsible and willing and able to take charge.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Understanding of basic principles of environmental education
- Knowledge of environmental/science/natural history concepts
- Ability to work actively outdoors during the summer
- Flexible, constructive, and courteous approach to parents, children and summer science camp staff.
Duration: Must be able to work from June 15 through August 14:
- Pre-camp training: June 15 – 19
- Camp weeks: June 22 – August 14 from 8:00 am – 3:30 pm (no camp July 3)
- Counselors rotate pre- and post- camp childcare (3:00 – 5:00 pm)
Camp Information: See description on the Tyler Arboretum website
Position Category: Temporary, seasonal. Compensation – commensurate with experience
Application: Send a resume with cover letter and names of 3 references with contact information to:
Martha L. Moore
Youth Education Coordinator
515 Painter Road
Media, PA 19063
Tyler Arboretum is an Equal Opportunity Employer