SPECIAL EVENTS MANAGER
Reports to the Executive Director. Full-time position with benefits.
Tyler Arboretum is seeking an energetic, detail oriented, organized, and creative individual to oversee its extensive special event program.
The Special Events Manager is responsible for scheduling, planning, and implementing all fund raising, member-only, donor cultivation, and community outreach special events. This position involves extensive coordination with other departments that assist with the set-up and execution of events; this includes the Development, Horticulture, and Public Programs Departments as well as Communications. Responsibilities also include providing event-related volunteer needs and job descriptions to the Volunteer Coordinator, and arranging for staff coverage throughout the event calendar.
The Manager serves as the liaison with Tyler’s exclusive wedding caterer and oversees all non-wedding rental business. This includes showing the facility, preparing rental contracts, processing all rental fees, and arranging for rental event set-up per clients’ requirements.
Other responsibilities include solicitation of goods and services from the business community to offset event expenses, assisting with development of sponsorship proposals, and preparing detailed financial reports following each event.
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable working with general public, trustees, members, and donors by phone, email and in person
- Ability to think and work independently and within a staff/volunteer team
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Microsoft Office skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with auction management software a plus
- Ability to work evening and weekend events throughout the year
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum five years’ experience in event planning
- Tyler Arboretum provides a welcoming team-based work environment
- General office environment with occasional work on the Arboretum’s grounds
- Significant computer and telephone work
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, bending, and climbing stairs with occasional lifting of light loads, up to 25lbs
Please send resume and writing sample to: Sally Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org. References may be requested following initial interview.
Responsibilities: Tyler Arboretum is seeking an Educator for scout, birthday, and family public programs on weekends, especially during the Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 seasons.
- Learn our environmental education curriculum and implement the purpose,
goals and objectives of each program.
- Clean areas, tables, sweep floors, and reset educational spaces after groups leave.
- Clean up and put away equipment and supplies used for programs.
Schedule: Position is part-time. Programs are offered year-round and hours vary seasonally. Heaviest concentration in fall and spring; during this period a commitment to teach two weekend days is required. Programs are one to four hours in length, generally in the morning or early afternoon.
- 1-2 years experience in education or life experience related to one or more of the following topics: outdoor activities, environmental studies, biology, education.
- Demonstrated success at teaching outdoor activities, environmental studies, biology, to school-aged children; teaching experience in an outdoor setting is preferred.
- Demonstrated success at working both within a team and independently.
- Demonstrated success at working in an outdoor environment.
- Ability to physically hike 2 or more miles each day.
- Must work well with a variety of people and in a variety of situations
- A strong desire to teach and share knowledge and enthusiasm for the natural world.
- Well-developed communication skills and ability to present information to children in an age appropriate manner.
- A background in education or the natural sciences is desirable.
- Training will be provided.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Application: Send a resume with cover letter and names of 3 references with contact information to:
Martha L. Moore, Tyler Arboretum, 515 Painter Road, Media, PA 19063 or email email@example.com
Tyler Arboretum is an Equal Opportunity Employer