Tyler Arboretum is a 650 acre public garden located in Media, Pennsylvania, only 40 minutes from Center City Philadelphia. One of the oldest arboreta in the northeastern United States, Tyler Arboretum encompasses renowned plant collections, champion trees, historic buildings, and 17 miles of hiking trails through woodlands, wetlands, and meadows. The Arboretum offers workshops, classes, and tours for adults and children throughout the year.
POSITION AVAILABLE: ADULT EDUCATION PROGRAMS ASSISTANT
Temporary: January – May (exact dates TBD)
Tyler Arboretum is seeking an energetic, organized individual with great people skills to join our Public Programs team. The Adult Education Programs Assistant will focus on the seasonal adult education public program offerings. This includes classes, workshops and trips in the following categories: gardening and horticulture, botanical arts, health and wellness and nature studies. This position will support seasonal exhibits through creative educational components and will work with other special event initiatives as needed.
- Coordinate the Winter and Spring 2017 adult education public programs. Communicate with and assist instructors, obtain required materials/vehicles, prepare teaching spaces and host programs. Work with Registrar and our Altru database to keep updated on registration and capacity.
- Develop the roster of adult education public programs for Summer and Fall 2017. Schedule classes, workshops and trips and develop text for published program insert of Arboretum newsletter.
- Assist with development of programs and visitor education materials for the Big Bugs exhibit (large-scale insect art) for Summer 2017.
- Special events work as requested (evenings and/or weekends).
- Knowledge of plants, horticulture, and/or environmental science. BS degree desirable.
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to work independently.
- Strong spirit of cooperation and teamwork.
- Comfortable working with the general public, trustees, members and donors by phone, email and in person.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Microsoft Office skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint). Experience with database software a plus (i.e. Altru, Raiser’s Edge).
- Ability to work with AV equipment.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive 15-seat passenger vans.
- 20 hours per week; Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays (schedule/hours may vary based on program calendar)
- February: Special Event on Saturday, February 25
- March, April and May: Tuesdays until 7:30 pm to host yoga series
- Tyler Arboretum provides a welcoming team-based work environment.
- General office environment with frequent work on the Arboretum’s grounds.
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, bending, and climbing stairs with occasional lifting of light loads, up to 25 lbs.
Application: Please send a cover letter, résumé and three references to:
Amy Mawby, Director of Public Programs
Tyler Arboretum, 515 Painter Road, Media, PA 19063
Part Time Naturalist/Educator
Position Summary: Educators are responsible for delivering environmentally based programming for children in small group settings. Educational programming typically includes School field trips, Scout badge programs, eco-birthday parties, family programs and other youth programming.
- Share Tyler’s rich heritage, collections and landscape to inspire and engage stewards of the natural world
- Lead a variety of environmental based programming for youth of varied ages
- Learn Tyler’s environmental education curriculum and implement the purpose, goals and objectives of each program (training provided)
- Set up and prepare for group arrival and clean up and put away equipment and supplies used for programs
- Know and understand emergency procedures associated with the organization
- Excellent character, integrity and adaptability
- Ability to teach and lead various environmental activities, including hiking, campfires, stream & pond activities (training provided)
- At least 1 year of work/volunteer experience in education/youth development related to one or more of the following topics: outdoor activities, environmental studies, youth development or other related topic
- Demonstrated success at teaching outdoor activities to children; teaching experience in an outdoor setting is preferred
- Ability to communicate and work with a variety of age and skill levels
- Enthusiasm for the natural world, sense of humor, patience and self-control
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Once offered a position, you must satisfactorily complete the required background checks
- Training will be provided
Compensation: $11.00 – $13.00/hour, commensurate with experience.
Schedule: Position is part-time, per diem. Programs are offered year-round and hours vary seasonally. Heaviest concentration in fall and spring. Programs are 1-3 hours in length and often fall between the hours of 9:30 and 4:00, Monday through Friday. Educators are expected to attend training sessions and regular staff meetings. The occasional weekend event is required. Opportunities for additional, weekend hours may also be available.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and three references to:
Youth Education Manager